PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-16, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
FIREk
Captain

Re: Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
2 Shotting tanks? Is that what I'm getting out of this?
If they follow the BFBC2 concept, then it's 2-3 shots to kill a tank, IF you've got the proper class (Engineer) with the proper weapon (AT4 or RPG-7, which are less all-rounders and more tank-busters), had good aim and, most importantly, worked your way into a good position.
You had to place these shots on the tank's sides or, ideally, the rear. And believe you me, it can be really difficult.

On the other hand, the MBTs in PS1 require very little care and skill from the driver in order to be successful. All they need to do is watch the health and start running when it's down below 50% or so.
Unless the conditions are really bad (a minefield, superior air, BFRs, or multiple enemy vehicles/infantry with AV), they can just waltz through the battlefield, soaking up damage, then bolting behind a hill to do some repairs.
Tanks in BFBC2, however are generally very powerful and tough, but require cautious and skillful driving. They have obvious weak points that can be ruthlessly exploited if the driver doesn't know what he's doing. You screw up, you get punished, hard and fast.

So you can still munch a lot of AV missiles, or tank shells, as long as only your front armor is exposed. If you let me get behind you, or don't notice me waiting in ambush while you drive past me, you deserve to get 2/3-shotted dead.

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
I wish Higby never played BF, or anyone at SOE for that matter.
There's no way I can agree with this.
The Battlefield series is very successful because of how vehicles, aircraft and infantry are balanced and work together on the same map. The balance is near-perfect, so it's a good idea to draw inspiration from this series when making a combined arms game.
Whether or not this balance holds water when you remove the let everyone get a tank or plane, that's a different story.

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
And then there's the Lib. Are you kidding me? The Lib has 3 seats, 1 of them never fills. You should be combining the bomber with the TG not the pilot. All you've got now is the BF2 jets, which were so hilariously bad that the devs came out and basically said "we fucked this up pretty bad last game, so we're leaving it out of the next one".
Wait up. We know the Lib is a 2-seater now, and I only assumed that the pilot becomes the gunner, essentially making the Liberator a dive-bomber, instead of a high-altitude, hovering, carpet bombing tedium generator.

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-09-16 at 03:41 PM.