PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - I really hope Planetside 2 doesn't turn out to be a bigger Battlefield game.
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-18, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
FIREk
Captain

Re: I really hope Planetside 2 doesn't turn out to be a bigger Battlefield game.

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
TL;DR: Alarmist is alarming (C) Bags.
Oh, it's this thread again.

OP, stop being paranoid about stuff you appear to know nothing about and cough up the $20 or so and buy Battlefield: Bad Company 2 so that you do know what you're shitting a brick over. :P

Furthermore, read up about PlanetSide 2. Higby or Smed mentioned early on that the bonus damage from headshots will be based on the weapon - something you're so fond of in UT and TF2. So you're less likely to get random headshots with an MCG, or your bonus damage will be as pathetic as 10%.
Furthermore, the recent Twitter reply ("headshots = headshots") about sniper rifles even points that snipers won't one-shot you, at least under certain curcumstances.

Also, what does "I want Planerside 2 to be Planetside" even mean?
You want it to be ancient, obsolete and unsuccessful, when released among games that are actually fun to play?
Or are you assuming that the pacing and combat in PS1 was somehow original, and not derived from other titles, like Mobile Forces?

I don't know if you've ever played a game with headshots and pacing, but just the fact that you can pop headshots doesn't mean everyone has the skill and opportunity to face-blast you every single time.

Moving on, PlanetSide 2's pacing will be even slower than Battlefield: Bad Company 2, which is, in itself, relatively slow.
After playing Fear Combat and CoD4 and switching to BFBC2, I felt like I was shooting rubber bullets. This means that PS2 will have you shooting paper bullets. :P

With half a dozen successful games in the series, Battlefield is a very polished product that does a lot of stuff right. It is a good start to use it as a basis for game design, and scaling that up to incorporate:
- larger-scale vehicle and infantry combat,
- persistence,
- teamwork.
A good example is the damage model for infantry. BFBC2 uses full health regen (BLOODY SCREEN). PS2 will have shields and persistent health damage - this means Medics are useful, whereas in BFBC2 they're just extras that will sometimes rez you, but aren't necessary all the time..

Using PlanerSide 1's "pacing" as a basis for a modern game that is supposed to be successful would be retarded, plain and simple.

Reinventing the wheel, instead of basing your project on lessons learned by other titles would be even more retarded.

Why not use something good as a basis for something awesome?