PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Key Parts of PS1 Vehicle Combat Missing from PS2
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-22, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Key Parts of PS1 Vehicle Combat Missing from PS2

The tanks that have no weaknesses is something that bothers me the most. There's no diversity, no combined-arms rewards, and it'll just be a big blob of tanks with no natural enemy. The various types of secondary weapons means that in sufficient quantity tanks have no tradeoffs because you can cover all your basis with a few different configurations and just roll around with a bunch of tanks killing aircraft, ground, infantry - everything. The only way to counter it would be to have more tanks.

That seems an awful lot like the BFR problem where the only effective counter to several BFRs was to bring more BFRs yourself. In fact, the tanks have configurable weapon systems just like the BFRS, complete with driver and gunner customizable options. I'm getting the feeling that they basically just took BFRs, got rid of the shields and put them on a normal tank chassis. That might get rid of the shield problem and the jumping problem but it doesn't get rid of the no-hard-counter problem and teamwork-is-optional problem.

More on the secondary guns...

If the secondary gun isn't good enough then nobody will use it other than as air defense. I still have a hard time imagining how 2 fully manned tanks with AA secondary guns are going to fare against 4 gunner-less tanks. That's double the hit points and double the firepower. Even if the secondary gunner gun was on-par with the main gun in terms of AV capabilities you're still down half the hitpoints of the single-manned tanks, which means you still lose quite horribly. They would have to make the secondary gun significantly more powerful than the main gun. That being the case - why call it a main gun at all? Unless that secondary gun is on the order of 1.5x more effective or more it will always be preferable to have single-manned tanks unless you require the AA capabilities.

PS1 had the vehicle concepts mostly on-target. Multi-manned powerhouses, single-man vehicles were significantly weaker, each vehicle had tradeoffs. Combined arms ruled, no one vehicle to rule them all (until BFRs...).