PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-10, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #270
Captain B
First Sergeant

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

I highly doubt naval combat will be implemented. With air and hover vehicles (VS) and the devs' lack of desire to put indirect fire (or at least limit it substantially) in PS2, there would be no point in speccing out naval combat - something that might not even be all that useful on many continents. The only thing I could imagine would be if it was like a moving fortress you had to defend, like a minigame of sorts, to get high resources. So you had to keep it repaired, man the turrets, provide air support, and so on (which could be really fun - like water towers!). Anything else just won't work with the primary focus on land, in bases, and in air.

Also, mechs wouldn't be able to enter bases or towers, and wouldn't exactly have the same "oomph" that tanks do, nor the top speeds. It'd be good for those areas like canyons and mountains where guerilla fighting and ambushes take place and tanks are sitting ducks, where they could provide some armor to the infantry footslogging it up the passes. At the same time, they would be extremely vulnerable in open field combat. I don't think they should even have epic weapons - mostly anti-infantry or maybe some AV/AA support - but they would fill a gap, as others have said, between MAX and vehicle.

MAXes in the open seem to get pounded into the dust as easily as any other infantry by air and armor, whereas the mech could still have some maneuverability (crouching, strafing) that vehicles don't have in areas where speed isn't as important, nor is having higher armor (that a tank would undoubtedly have).