PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-06, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Re: Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....

Originally Posted by Erikson View Post
While I generally agree with this, there is a concern for how inaccurate not using the sights might be. In CoD, or similar games, not using the iron sights is effective only for a few meters.

I am in support of iron sights. It'll cut down on the run and gun fever. Maybe it'll encourage people to think before they shoot.

I'm really picturing moving into a base with my outfit in coordinated fire teams. One team covering the other from their iron sights, hands steady, trigger fingers ready.
These are my thoughts as well. The use of ADS in many games ends up being a required tactic because weapon accuracy sucks ass beyond a few feet when trying to hip-fire or run-and-gun.

But as many have already stated, IMO PS2 should be designed so that both playstyles are valid choices. This is not an either/or question. There are many different game mechanics that can be tweaked to make one tactic more favorable than the other in any given situation, like:
  • footspeed when hitting your walk/run/sprint keys
  • strafe speed
  • accuracy and recoil when firing single shots, bursts, and full auto
  • accuracy of the above when taking damage
  • FoV
  • speed with which you can switch between the two firing modes

The Devs should be able to tweak these values so that PS2 doesn't overwhelmingly favor one tactic over the other most of the time.

In addition, I would hope that there will be skill trees for both ADS and running-and-gunning so that you can personalize either one to your own playstyle, like increased footspeed while using ADS at the cost of a bit of accuracy, or increase accuracy when hip firing at the cost of footspeed.

That said, due to the huge scale of PS2 maps and the large variety of engagement distances present, they do need to make hip firing / running-and-gunning a lot more accurate than what you see in many 16vs16 FPSes. I think hitting a man-sized target out to 25 feet or so with an assault rifle is reasonable, at least for the first few shots.

Lastly, for those of you that complain that ADS will only slow down the game, I give you the following video:

In it you'll see combat that is just as fast as the vid Arrow posted. And you'll notice that Karter uses a pretty good mix of ADS and hip-firing. CoD2's hip-firing accuracy is actually pretty good for a map of this size and complexity since both tactics are used quite often. For PS2 the Devs just need to find the right balance given the scale of PS2 maps.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-01-06 at 03:49 PM.