PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Sniping Mechanics and Headshots
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-08, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
LongBow
Sergeant

Re: Sniping Mechanics and Headshots

whats the difference between a 1 shot kill from a sniper and a tank? nothing.... you guys are saying its ok to be 1 shoted by 1 thing and not the other, is what im hearing
I can understand the confusion - it is weird but let me try to explain.

A tank is big, its easy to spot - its also easy to predict, whatever way its turret is facing it can shoot.

with this information a player knows if it is safe to advance and if they make the wrong decision it is clear both that it was the wrong choice and why.

the problem is not instant death, it is the frustration the death causes.
(numbers chosen are to be easy not accurate)

lets say a random "wind change" causes 75% of head shots to miss no matter how skilled a sniper. And with recoil that sniper can reasonably shoot one shot once every 2.5 seconds -- so given good hunting conditions that's 1 kill every 10 seconds.

now a scenario where the sniper does 75% damage once every 5 seconds BUT there are no irritating "skill mechanics" ... that's still one kill every 10 seconds, but nobody is pissed off at the game!

---------

The primary advantage of snipers acting this way is it gives them access to a useful tool, "area denial" ... as a player sticks his head up and goes to 25% he has to stop advancing and take cover.

suddenly snipers are just as lethal in optimal conditions and, are no longer ass holes but "tactical assets"

Last edited by LongBow; 2012-01-08 at 03:51 PM.