PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Sniping Mechanics and Headshots
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-08, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
texico
Master Sergeant

Re: Sniping Mechanics and Headshots

yeah, I was mentioning the same thing about the tank but I timed out and lost my post.

Instantly dying isn't a problem for players. It's their inability to react or have any influence over the events that lead to them dying instantly, even if they know what it is that's killing them. With a tank, it's not the same kind of "instantly" we're talking about here. When you're engaged by a tank, you don't die in the instant that the tank engages you. You see the tank approach, you see the turrets looking for you, you can run, you can duck for cover or hop in a vehicle, or even try to destroy it somehow. Sure, it only takes one projectile to kill you, but it can't kill you instantly as it engages you, or at least if it does and a random shell hits you with no warning, you can accept it as a complete fluke. One-hit Sniping kills you instantly as it engages you. It's not so much about the projectile.

And it does have another affect. Unlike things like tank shells, with one-hit sniping you have to adapt your game before you've even been engaged, i.e you can't do certain things at all. If you're on an open road and you see a tank coming, certainly you have to change tact and run to the trees. But you adapt when the threat is presented to you. With one-hit kill sniping, you can't move on the open road at all, more or less ever. Because of the zero reaction time to being one-hit killed you can't adapt your game to being engaged. The only say you have is to not be in that position where you can be shot, ever. And so ultimately infantry won't be able to move at all, or very little, in the field near a body of enemies, which is what infantryside is about - engaging in battles in the field between groups of infantry, with vehicles providing a little extra support and muscle. If Infantry can't move because they'll get sniped with no ability to react, there won't be any infantry out in the field, and that aspect of the game is severely diminished.