PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Why you shouldn't plan on playing PlanetSide 2 on a laptop
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-17, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
EZShot
Corporal

Re: Why you shouldn't plan on playing PlanetSide 2 on a laptop

Let's just clarify something. Laptop GPU's tend to be good at rastering and rendering frames but a complete let down whenever you throw complex processing info at them such as shadows and volumetric lighting (smoke and mist).

This means that it probably won't take much of a video card to run the game right, but it will be severely limited when you enable the options that govern things like weather, particle effect (explosions and thrusters) and shadows. All the things that make the game lively and interesting to look at.

I expect that a current generation laptop (mid/high-end) that you could buy in the shops right now aught to handle PS2 fine, especially if you're allowing for a big spend (over 900).

I also suspect that PS2 won't be as taxing as it looks in the screenshots. Remember that SOE will be trying to get as many people playing as possible and allowing for a wide specification. Expecting everyone to upgrade when you release a game isn't a very good route to take in a marketing sense. I'll take a bet that an old nvidia gefore 9600GT will get along ok. Obviously not "ultra" settings but a good mix of frame rate and some low level eye candy.

If you're looking for 40+fps all the time whatever the weather on "ultra" settings then I suggest you look at cards like the ati 6670 which is cheap at around £$70 but very capabale, however with this choice you may find you need to upgrade in a couple of years or the other end of the scale anything from a nvidia 550 ti (£$140) upwards will handle it all day long at the highest possible settings.

We've been at a point for a while where graphics hardware is well outpacing graphics software it runs.

Everyones got a different budget mine is low.....