PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - NPC's in planetside?
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-20, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #128
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: NPC's in planetside?

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I like the idea of doing things to add "life" to the world, but I don't know if NPCs are the way to do it. I mean, if you just stand in a quiet spot in Planetside, the place just feels dead. There is no movement whatsoever, not even a river.

So, it would be cool to have something that corrected the sterile stagnant world, but NPCs might have more cons than pros.
I think that's an interesting thought. Given the uncanny valley effect that even the most advanced NPCs tend to have when you spend any amount of time near them, it might be both a more impactful and a more efficient use of resources to put life into the landscape than try to introduce animals and civilians.

Nobody is fooled into thinking that the NPC shopkeepers that all use the same 3 lines are actually people, but standing on a grassy hill during a quiet moment and hearing a river somewhere off in the morning mist would be kind of sublime. Being shot immediately afterward by some jackass using the mist as cover just means the environmental effects are adding to the gameplay as well.