PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - [Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-24, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Re: [Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
since freetrack can even use normal webcams (and most players own one of those) implementing some freelook features would make sense.
it may be a gimmick but it could add to immersion. and almost all players could try it with webcams so it would not be a feature just for a few crazy guys who bought expensice tracking hardware.
the step from supporting freetrack or tracknoir to supporting real trackerhardware doesn´t seem too big. like hooves said, implementation is supported by the hardwaremanufacturers and not a big deal.

so i would like to see freelook in the game and i would not mind if a dev spends some hours to support track ir or other stuff as well. but freetrack should be supported as well, so everyone can use this advantage without having to buy expensive hardware.
it´s the same with the mouse. everyone has a basic one to use in the game, but those who pay for a nifty hardcore gamermouse get better performance
For the record, it doesn't work very well (or at all) with stock webcams, they need a bit of tweaking which while simple, can be irreversible.
You need to remove the IR filter (and add a visible light filter but that's external and trivial). On some models that's a coating that I presume is impossible to replace once removed, on the more popular models it's a lens over the photoreceptor chip(?) which while theoretically replacable, easily breaks during removal. The camera still works without it but looks rather weird with strange/no colors

Originally Posted by HoovesMcG View Post
So I read "Somewhere" that someone testing PS2 was able to look into a turn while sliding around on a Quad bike. Does that mean Freelook is in? and by proxy TRACK IR??? I really wish they would give us an answer. that they are even looking at the tech.
We could do that in PS1 too since some ground vehicles did have something like freelook

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2012-02-24 at 02:36 PM.