PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genre
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-07, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #166
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Re: Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genr

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
True. But why would my hardcore leet outfit recruit someone with a KDR of .0001?
Can't believe it took till page 7 to come up. "1337 h4rdc0|23 killa ninjaz" isn't going to be an outfit I'll want to join. I want to be respected for what I've done, not for my kewl sik name: "D34th-sh4d0wz-ninj4"

In order to make sure an outfit knows if I'll make a good addition to their team/playstyle/objectives, there's only 1 solution.

Track EVERYTHING! Stats for EVERY SINGLE THING.

Number of kilometres walked
Number of kilometres run
Number of K's driven
number of k's flown
number of 9mm rounds fired.
number of 9mm rounds hit.
number of shotgun rounds fired
number of shotgun rounds hit

Then, break that down: Number of k's flown in gal. Number of k's flown in ES fighter, Number of k's flown in [whatever]

number of AMSes deployed
number of AMSes deployed in enemy SOI
number of AMSes deployed in enemy CY
number of spawns from your AMS
number of non-squad spawns from your AMS
number of non-outfit spawns from your AMS
number of kills resulting from people spawning from your AMS

# hacks. # door hacks, outpost hacks, vehicle hacks (if applicable)

This is the only way I can prove my worth in any reasonable way. Me, personally, I don't care about K/D. Never have. To me, it's about capping bases. To cap bases you need AMSes nearby and zerglings.

If there was an "AMSes pulled" stat I honestly think it would match my kill stat. I regularly end up playing for 3 hours with less than 20 kills and more than 60 deaths. I always have assists in the thousands.

Would my outfit kick me because my K/D ratio is so crap? No, because I'm SINGLE HANDEDLY responsible for most of the caps my outfit makes. My AMSes, Lodestars, Gals, GGs and Engineering support mean the knuckledraggers can go and do the shooting. If my AMS wasn't around, they would have to spawn far far far away and would never make it back to the CC.

/rant

Anyway, if every last detail is tracked you could show off whatever is your particular strength. Mine is to have the first and closest AMS deployed. Which is WAY WAY WAY more important than how many kills I personally get because my assists are way over 1000 in a 3 hour session.