Thread: KONY 2012
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-09, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Re: KONY 2012

Originally Posted by Garem View Post
@ Firefly, of course people actually do something. I've raised and spent about $8000 (I'm a grad student, I don't MAKE any money ) and spent countless hours (4 weeks in sum actually IN Africa) in helping to found and partake in an AIDS orphans/medical mission into rural Kenya. I couldn't have gone without financial supporters from my community.
Well bully for you! Clearly you wouldn't be in the group that I was mocking and scorning.

The key word in all that should have been "some people". In fact, not even "some". Less than some. The majority of people post bullshit on Facebook and assuage their guilt by sharing/liking a video and saying "omg i cant believe this!!!11!". So you would be in the less-than-some class.

My entire point was this: the disingenuous factor makes me sick. If people aren't going to do something, spare us all the histrionics and the tugging of heart strings. It makes people like me think less of those who say "what a tragedy!" and then go back to eating their bucket of fried chicken in the suburbs before retiring to the couch to watch reality TV.