Thread: KONY 2012
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-11, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Re: KONY 2012

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
It seems like this could be a propaganda piece created by the Pentagon to get support for expanding military operations in Africa
I hope you were wearing your tinfoil hat while you wrote that. There isn't anything preventing foreign multinational corporations from operating in Uganda, and I don't see how some airstrikes on rebel groups living in jungles would necessitate US corporate involvement where previously there was none.

And as much as Obama is a puppet of corporate interests, assuming there were a serious benefit for corporations if the US were to blow up some jungle creatures and also some African guys, it would be political suicide for Obama to get the US seriously involved in Uganda when he's just ramping up for a general election. To engage in hostilities with a group called the "Lord's Resistance Army" would be ridiculous. Muslims who the government can spin as being a threat to the world via WMDs? That's something Americans can be down with murdering en masse, but even that is unpopular with people at this point. Only 40% of Americans think military action against Iran is a good idea according to recent polls, and they hit all the check boxes for people who it's okay to explode with bombs.

But Africans, who are ostensibly Christian, and who pose no threat to the USA? Never going to happen. Who'd support it? A few hipsters who want to appear proactive and apathetic douche bags who clicked "Like" on Facebook. Conversely, by the time the new year rolls around and Obama is in his second term or President Frothy Mixture or Romney are getting situated, the interest in this Kony shit will be a distant memory.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-03-11 at 05:11 PM.