Thread: KONY 2012
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-12, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Re: KONY 2012

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
Let's imagine for a moment that a corporation greases American palms. Let's imagine that those politicians then do favors for the Ugandan government and asks that American corporations get special treatment in return.

Maybe it's cheaper for these American corporations to do this than to out-bid Chinese companies... particularly when ensuring U.S. control of the region is an added long-term benefit for the U.S. government.

If you don't think that control of regional resources (energy in particular) isn't powerful, I suggest you take a look at Russia's influence over Eastern Europe.
I'll ask it a third time. How will the USA blowing up areas of Uganda's jungles change the situation on the ground for US corporate interests intent on making money there? Or are you suggesting the US destroy the entire Ugandan regime commence to nation building as in Iraq?

If the US had any interest in toppling the Ugandan government to install a friendly regime, they'd have done what they do all the time. They'd have simply funneled money secretly to the LRA, maybe drop in some CIA personnel to help advise them in the fight against the existing Ugandan regime, and simply ask of them that, when they win and seize control of Uganda, they bow completely to US demands. That's how the USA does it. That's how they've done it over and over around the world. They would not be best suited by waging direct war against Uganda when they could wage a proxy war.

Originally Posted by Blitzkri View Post
Should make a video of children getting manipulated into joining street gangs.
At a time when South American leaders are deliberating the legalization or decriminalization of the failed and disastrous "war on drugs", I think trying to inspire a grassroots movement to make a difference there would have been better. It's a pretty close call between the people who think drugs should be legalized vs. those who don't, but it's a better bet than waging war on guerrillas in Uganda.