PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Brainstorming: VS MAX Special Abilities
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-12, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Brainstorming: VS MAX Special Abilities

As long as it isn't jumpjets I'll be happy.

Lets see..
NC Theme = alpha-strike & durability => MAX with defensive shield
TR Theme = mobility & sustained dps => MAX with overdrive ability & Lockdown
VS Theme = accuracy & maneuverability => ???

Looking for something that either enhances accuracy and/or maneuverability.

Maneuverability ideas:

- Inertial dampeners => enable the VS MAX to fall from high distances and
not take damage (so they get some of the non-OP jumpjet ability). It could be another benefit of the sprint mode mentioned below.

- Sprint-mode => greatly enhances the VS MAX's turning, strafing speed, and increases run speed for a time. Uses MAX capacitor. Sort of like a buffed up speed version of the TR Overdrive that doesn't increase damage but makes the MAX a lot more agile. Could be used to blitz into an area or for escape. Since other MAX are slow this could be an advantage against other MAX fights since the VS max could use this ability to out-maneuver the other max and circle-strafe it faster than the other MAX can. It also gives the VS MAX some ability to dictate an engagement.

Accuracy ideas:
- Charge-up => VS MAX activates an mode that drains MAX capacitor while they "lock on" a target and any shots fired while in this mode are charged-up and delayed. When the mode is disabled (or the capacitor runs out), all of the charged up rounds unleash in a rapid barrage that home-in on the target and do increased damage. The target gets a lock-on warning (even infantry). The idea is that the rounds are more accurate and most likely highly lethal when they all hit the target simultaneously. The tradeoff is that the damage is delayed instead of instant and the target gets a warning. And since it requires capacitor it can't be used all the time. The increase damage is to compensate for the the delay in hit and is counter-balanced by the capacitor requirement.

(Charge-up only works with Quasar & Comet weapons and the lock only works on intended targets, so Quasar locks on to infantry only, and the Comet only locks onto ground vehicles and MAX)

Looking back, I like the sprint-mod but not sure its a good fit. It's a clear maneuverability advantage and gives the VS a unique tactical advantage of "MAX Rush", bu my issue with sprint is that it is close to Overdrive, and "Mobility" and "Speed" are TR advantages, so if anything it would be how the Overdrive works (with a ROF advantage).

I think the charge-up mechanic is a bit more VS-like and is uniquely offensive. It has a definite accuracy theme since the shots home in on the target and the tactical advantage is burst-fire and the ability to hit an enemy hard all at once before they get a chance to react. But it needs the lock-on warning so would-be victims can react to avoid the potential insta-gib that might result. It would also be an advantage in outdoor situations, particularly with the Comet configuration where long range owuld make it harder to hit distant targets. The VS MAX charge-up would allow VS better accuracy at range in those situations, and more burst in close- range situations.

I'm sure both ideas could be improved with some more brainstorming.