PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - MBTs - 3-man or 2-man - Discuss!
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-17, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Re: MBTs - 3-man or 2-man - Discuss!

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
There's nothing wrong with fixed gun.

BF2142 had a hovertank with a fixed gun and I thought it was the better tank purely due to its ability to strafe and always keep its strong frontal armor facing its threats.

2142 Vehicle Gameplay- Type 32 Nekomata [PAC hovertank] Driver - YouTube

That video is a joke. It shows a sluggish hovertank that handles like a boat, on flat ground, with an extremely limited number of sluggish enemy vehicles, almost all of which either 1) were stationary, 2) attacked the tank from the front by charging straight at him across a bridge, or 3) were so close to him that no fine-level aiming adjustments - or real aiming ability at all - were even required to score a hit.

Either that driver was terribad or the tank was just too unresponsive to be able to accurately track even a moderately fast target moving laterally across his heading. I got seasick just watching that thing slosh around and I'd scream bloody murder if the Mag handled that poorly in PS2...

An example of a good hovertank implementation would be this Battlezone 2 vid CutterJohn posted a few weeks back:

Now that I think would be a decent level of control for a Mag with a fixed turret. Although it's top forward speed might be a bit high and its strafing speed a little too low. I'd have to actually use it against traditional turreted tanks to tell for sure tho...

Another way they could help balance a fixed turret setup is to increase the cannon's muzzle velocity. If its shots move fast enough then just painting your reticle across your desired aim point could be enough to consistently land hits. You wouldn't have to constantly track a target at just the right spot then.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-03-17 at 05:38 AM.