PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Dual wield pistols yes or no?
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-19, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Hoodlum
Corporal

Re: Dual wield pistols yes or no?

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
The problem with this is with how it would work as far as gameplay goes. The "realism" of it isn't important, it's finding this to have a place amongst other weapons that is an issue. Two pistols would be rather strange as accurate long, or even medium-range weapons, and yet for close ranges it would be competing with both the SMG and the shotgun. The issue then, is, under what circumstances would a player want to use dual pistols over an SMG? How do you keep both of those weapons as viable when they seemingly have the same niche?

There are a lot of pretty significant issues with having dual pistols as something that is meant to compete with actual two-handed firearms. The biggest hurdle to this isn't whether people can or can't aim when using two pistols, as that isn't important really, it's whether there could be a place in the game for dual pistols and SMGs without one or the other becoming useless.

Personally, I think trying to shoe-horn in dual pistols doesn't serve a purpose at this point. Maybe if there weren't SMGs it would have an easy niche to fill, but it would be a bit of a hassle to find a way to make both those weapons viable. And in the end, is gameplay really improved? How many viable ways to engage people with bullets at short range do players really need? I am struggling to see dual pistols as anything but superfluous.
I feel they would be better for fast bursts at close range because you could unload 2 guns but then you would have to reload which would take longer and leave you open, vs an SMG that would carry more ammo, be more acturate over time and take less time to reload then 2 pistols, thus making both good in there own way and fit your play style, something we haven't touched on much is the fact that there putting in all of these side grades so you can play how you want and have your own play style, so why not have more options to do that ?