PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-02, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #672
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Re: Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
63 PS1 Vets want it... I added myself in there. I want a game focused primarily around Team work not wannabe Rambo's who where pissed off that they couldn't drive a MBT by themselves because it involved somebody else getting their kills. Having multiple seats in MBT's forced teamwork in PS1 regardless of what the bulk majority of the anti - multiple seat MBT crowd has to say. There was a vehicle for ppl who wanted a 1 seat tank. It was called the lightning.

But ppl where not happy with the lightning because it died to easy. They couldn't sit in front of a tower or a door and absorb more than 2 to 3 rockets to the face before it blew it up. Thus it was interfering with their K/D ratio. So thus, here we are with this asinine 1 seater tank that we have today.

For the record, I was hoping that the Reaver was going to be a 2 seater when we first started getting word about PS2 way back when to help cut down on the Reaver spam this time around. With a dedicated driver in control of the cannon and a gunner for missiles. Why you ask, It promotes team work and is more aligned in what you would see today. Same goes for the MBT.

./flame on
Well I don't want to flame, just wanted to point the statistical thing. I mean if you got Coca-Cola forums (if there is one, don't know....) and ask people if they liked coke, 99% would say yes, but you can't say that 99% of the world loves coke based on that.

The way forums work, is that more dedicated people post, a bit more only read and most don't read them - this is common for most games.

As per driver and gunner - I'd like that to be a "specialization". Take Reaver - one man normal as seen in footage, however if it turns into 2 man, than it acts as Helis in BF - 1 pilot with the rockets and the gunner with now rotating gun/cannon (whatever you put there). Now the gun would rotate, zoom in, infrared vision - all that, making it far more deadly and powerful than the static gun we saw in the GDC video ( fixed aim, no zoom etc). Just by making it 2 man it becomes far more deadly without even "buffing" the damage, speed etc.

I would like to see the option to choose - you can go solo, or you can go as a small team, making the single vehicle more deadly (by allowing it do something you could not do alone).

In a tank - the gunner would have his hands full with just the machine gun - taking care of infantry/Air while the driver would take care of other armored vehicles (whatever the spec, the two can fill different roles). As a single person you'd have to switch from machine gun to cannon so you couldn't do both. Heck, you can have 3 people in tank (as in BF3), where the 3rd person laser designates targets/marks them for guided rockets (coordinating with infantry or the gunner who switched from machine gun to rocket launcher for more AT power).

I don't want to see "only one man vehicles" nor "only several people may operate it so it can fight". I'd prefer it optional, making it simply more efficient (if players are good of course).