PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Is anybody else suffering from burnout?
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-02, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Re: Is anybody else suffering from burnout?

Originally Posted by Dir View Post
The anticipation of the event is quite often more enjoyable than the actual event but eventually that leads to speculation...positive speculation. That hype has killed game after game for me so I've learned to be very sceptical of sequels of both games and movies. The developers have killed many games that I was looking forward to...in recent memory is Supreme Commander...the only game I felt to be a true successor to Total Annihilation...never saw it coming...killed by consoles for the mentally retarded.

OMG! YES!

Stronghold killed twice in a row just for fun....
YES!
Homeworld 3 still hasn't happened.
Tragic
X-com? Nope...believe it when I see it...and it won't be Xcom of old.
Nostalgia is a powerful thing

All had great marketing and regular updates but huge FAIL. The only hope I have left is Black Mesa but with these guys I know they are re-creating the same experience I had 12 years ago down to the finest detail, every box, corridor and light switch and adding more. They are more like historians and I find great comfort in this because it means I get to step into a time machine and visit the past...whenever it gets released...but there is zero worry or concern that it won't be exactly what I'm expecting.

I wish there were more companies that would do that and not fuck with something that's perfect. Just a polish of the graphics and leave everything else the same please!!!

Your best bet is to just re-subscribe and jump into the old game with all your video settings maxed out to keep your mind busy and forget about the new game. This could go on for years and my mind is too fragile to obsess over something that I may never end up liking at all. After-all it could very well be your last chance to experience Planetside of the past...once it's turned off it's off for good....until Planetside 3 maybe? At the very least Sony will be setting the bar quite high for the next big successor and that alone could change everything...maybe even kill consoles? I dream of a day when PS3 and Xbox get thrown on the shelf next to the Intellivision, Atari 2600 and Colecovision.
It's like we grew up during the golden age of gaming and are wearing our rose coloured glasses. I've never agreed more with a post ever before! You've completely captured everything I've been trying to say about games in general from the last decade.

My greatest #1 top thing on my wishlist is for someone to update Darklands. Keep it virtually identical to the 1992 edition but update the graphics and remove the exploits.

I might actually bust that out if I can find a 5.25" drive. Hope the disks still work!

Anyway, the consensus is to distract myself until beta.