PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Outfit member Cap
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-03, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Re: Outfit member Cap

Originally Posted by ArcIyte View Post
I know what you do, I was in SG, playing the same way alongside some of the best players in the game. Your success depends on outfits like The Enclave or Sturmgrenadier not showing up and kicking over the interfarm sandcastle you've built.

Don't get me wrong, you're good players. When it comes down to what really matters though, taking territory, you're not going to be able to defeat the zerg because you won't have the numbers to defeat the common rabble.

Zerging may be what modern PS1 outfits do, but you can't simply write off 5+ gals dropping men and simultaneously taking key points of a base as "zerging".
I'll reply to you Arc rather than Pig because not only did we play together on occasion but as you said you're been on both sides of the fence. I too have worked on both large and small scale, but from a command perspective, leading the old VS alliance raids with 150+ guys, to ruining DT'z handful of miscreants on a nightly basis. In, PS 1, in my opinion, the small fast Outfits outperformed the large combined arms ones, regardless of how many 1337 players one had simply because the smaller Outfit can out-manoeuvre the larger one. Sure if we fight you head on, you might take us in a straight fight but if I take my 15 and hack three bases you either have to split up on the fly, in which case I'll probably get one base because my small force, who're dug in, can probably defeat your divided one and if your decide you're going to take your group 'en masse' not only will you be hampered by the guy who can't find his vehicle terminal etc. but by the time you finally get there you probably won't have time to secure the other two...

Not that any of this particularly matters in PS2 but that was my experience in PS1 and I fought both with our against virtually every large Outfit on Emerald. One last thought regarding "superior organisation" (Pig's words) and PS1. If the tactical masterminds were leading the large Outfits and those such as the 666th had a large number 1337 players would you not have expected them to have an effect on the Outfit Wars back when the game was still populated? On every server the tournament was won by a small outfit. That was the time for "superior organisation". Mirror and I timed the platoon leaving the spawns and getting in transport and then drilled them to get it faster, second by second. There were battleplans, backup plans, every person had a specific role assigned to them depending on their particular skill-set.

My point is, speed kills. In PS1 speed was king and regardless of the hype many of the best commanders weren't herding around 70 squabbling children every night, they were leading 10 vets moving the map harder and faster cos they didn't have to wait for anyone. We shall have to wait and see if PS2 bears any resemblance.

Oh and for whatever it's worth, I think Arc has the truth of it SKY. I suspect the changes to the game will make life harder for small Outfits like FC and us. That's OK tho. A challenge is fine.

Ps. Krazey that group in PRG is an example of my point, we had good players, but having to wait for Kytana et al to support us was a handicap. Still, glad you remember it fondly man.

Last edited by Dart; 2012-04-03 at 06:13 AM.