PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - 3D spotting
Thread: 3D spotting
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-05, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Re: 3D spotting

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
laelgon and Erendil, you're both assuming that the person/people making the markers have time to stop, open their map and fiddle with it.

That overall map I figure will be used for missions and commanders putting up route highlights or other stuff. In the perspective of the infantry squad in the midst of the battle time is life and very few people would be willing to take the time to mouse over a grid map when they're being shot at or in the process of taking a base.
Um, I don't mean to sound argumentative, but do you even know what the minimap is that we're referring to? IT'S THE RADAR. It's located on your HUD all of the time and requires nothing but a quick keystroke to get a mouse pointer on your HUD so you can click the radar. No separate map screen is used, and you don't even have to stop moving to use it since PS1 had an auto-run key so you could keep running forward while using your mouse on the HUD, and I presume PS2 will too.

Plus, you're not going to be shot at every single second of a battle, and there's always plenty of cover to hide behind for a quick couple of seconds to give you time to click the minimap.

And you will run into literally dozens of times every day where you can be in the middle of a firefight and have nobody shooting at you because of the huge number of friendly forces around you. It happens all the time in PS1, and you'd be surprised at the things you can get away with in a large battle while in LoS of the enemy, be it healing yourself, repping MAxes, rezzing teammates, looting backpacks of fallen soldiers, etc. It's something you don't find very often in smaller 32vs32 games due to the smaller maps and limited number of enemy troops that are present.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-05 at 07:52 AM.