PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Vehicle refunds
Thread: Vehicle refunds
View Single Post
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-23, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Vehicle refunds

Something to consider is that the permanent cost of the vehicle in resources may be an intentional resource sink.

Switching loadouts might be another one. I haven't heard anything about being refunded the resources spent on your previous loadout when you switch to a new loadout.

If they enable these sorts of partial refunds then it will inadvertently affect the resource income rate. Since we'd be getting refunds or partial refunds we'd have more resources than otherwise anticipated. One consequence of this is that they may need to tone down resource generation, which would have other impacts.

I think it's simpler and easier to balance by not having any refunds. On the surface refunds seem like a good idea but they create a ripple in the resource balance that can have other far reaching consequences on the resource dynamics because they have to be accounted for. I'd rather them not be accounted for and assume that any loadout used or any vehicle created permanently consumes resources.

If they do the balance right we won't need it anyway and instead of getting resources from stuff you already have/used you'll be getting it from new sources which makes it more dynamic.

Edit: The misclick situation could be avoided by giving you a "grace period" of a few seconds after buying something to destroy it and buy something else and get a full refund. That seems like a good scenario for refunds that won't affect the overall resource balance but does allow a limited "buyback" option for misclicks.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-04-23 at 03:39 PM.