PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - A Wee Balance Scenario: AA vs Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-13, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Mechzz
Major

Re: A Wee Balance Scenario: AA vs Aircraft

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Well you definitely have the better perspective at that but I nevertheless think that AA/Aircav balance should be as close as RL situation. Few functional base AA guns with decent gunners should keep all of the aircav away so they would need ground assistance before pounding the place, next vehicles with AA should have all things considered 50-50 chance against AV equipped aircrafts and infantrymen with hand-held AA guns should be there just a a last resort and useful in larger numbers primarily against slower/larger aircrafts like Galaxies. (if my military concepts are slightly outdated please don't mind since I mostly play WW2 games).
my bold! Turrets were not previously a viable AA option since they were sited on the walls of a base. They were the first things removed by the arriving MBTs and it was a brave engy that tried to repair one during an active base fight. Base fights quickly became infantry fights as the courtyard could not be defended against aircav/tank combination.

Now, if the AA turrets were placed inside the base perimeter and not somewhere every tank could reach that would be OK. Failing that, hand-held AA should be a reasonable way to discourage basic aricraft.

Sorry, I'm wandering a bit as its late.

Thanks to all contributors to this thread so far - it's helped me get something off my chest that had gotten me wound up on another thread.