PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - "Speeding it up"
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-18, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Re: "Speeding it up"

Fast gameplay and MMO do not go together well. There needs to be downtime in between. Nobody can keep a fast twitch playstyle up for too long. I played BF2 and COD competitively and was always best coming off a break. 2 hours of playing and I was slowing down and burning out. Having watched the gameplay videos the devs are either terrible or were told to stand around and let Higby shoot at them. The gameplay I have seen will not represent the gameplay we will see at beta/launch. I will actually be much better at PS2 than I was at PS1 simply because PS2 is more like the games I am good at.

So by no means do I want a slow TTK because I don't feel like I can keep up. I don't want a fast TTK because I want to ENJOY the moments of an MMO.

Devs need to remember that the camaraderie (and immersion) was created ON THE WAY TO BATTLE. In PS1 and WW2Online, the best times were in the Gal (or transport of choice) on the way to the battle. It gets the adrenaline up to be helplessly in the back of a transport that could get shot down or blown up at any point in time only to jump out and go from quiet to chaos at the drop of a hat. Pressure on the driver to deliver the troops, etc... great game tension all around. Spawning on teh SL takes the need for this away.

BF3 Control points at a base make the fight too spread out and will not concentrate enemies to a reduced number of entrance points. Add jump jets and Luanch pads and this game will be BF3 meets unreal tourney.

Also the ability to spawn off a team mate indoors will completely undo the idea of the orginal game. You needed to run from point a to point b to get inside. Usually if your AMS was blown or you died after a GAL drop you had to regroup and redeploy.

There was something great about getting rid of an enemy AMS and hunting for hidden ones that were somewhat further away. Equally fun on the attacking side was regrouping after your attack was thwarted.

the TTK on the MBT was WAAAAAAY too fast. Add in the gunner is now the driver and the tanks will be useless. Back in the day good Tank gunners and drivers were a highly sought after team. A good driver kept at the fringe of the fight without diving in too far. A good gunner kept enemies at bay and took out the competition. 10 hits would take out a tank as opposed to BF3s 2. No one will take the 2nd gunner spot unless they're infy looking for temporary cover from air.

TTK is the one thing that concerns me about this game. I don't want it to be too slow like PS1 but BF3 is a little too fast for a MMOFPS IMO.

I like WW2 online and PS2 because you feared Tanks and Planes.

In BF3 planes have no bombs...its laughable.
Tanks are a joke.

In PS1 you crapped in your pants if you saw a tank. Infy with a decimator could only keep a tank at bay for so long. You were pretty much dead meat.

Thats they way war is thats the way this game should be.

I remember very specifically that Planetside really emulated real war in the way that you had to control the air first in hostile territory if you wanted to win (just like IRL), the way you countered Air was putting up good dog fighters yourself and some AA. When the defenders countered with AA you brought in the tanks (to clean up the max units and skillguards), forcing the enemy to counter with tanks.

The point is there was a process to winning the battle that was a rock paper scissors style of game play. If one side wasn't flexible (wouldn't pull armor for example) then they lost. Period. end of fucking story.

I don't want to see a bunch of Infy fighting off Air and Tanks with a couple of Shoulder rockets and C4.

Last edited by Kurtz; 2012-05-18 at 02:33 PM.