PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Improvement: Main Battle Tank - Chassis Mod - Solution to Driver/Gunner Problem
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-26, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Main Battle Tank - Chassis Mod - Solution to Driver/Gunner Problem

The devs are already considering a dedicated gunner slot, which would hand the drivers gun over to the gunner so that both can focus on their role.

Now obviously this wouldn't work as easily with the Magrider, since it's main gun is fixed forwards. It would need to have it's forward fixed main gun removed and placed as a turret on top.

Now if they already need to modify the Magrider that much, I don't see why they couldn't also increase the main cannon damage (for the Magrider along with the other two MBT's), perhaps along with giving the armor a small buff.

Visual distinction between these dedicated gunner variants and the normal driver gunned MBT's would certainly be good, but I don't think they should be a new larger tank. Tanks in PS2 are actually already larger than they were in the original Planetside, and I think it would be over the top to make them even larger.

But I do support the idea of dedicated driver/gunner variants. Whether they actually do need more firepower or armor is a question of balance, which would need some more proper play testing. A lot would depend on whether those dedicated gunner variants also had room for a third occupant to control the secondary turret (providing things like AA defense).