PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Window shopping build, will order once PS2 Beta is released
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-27, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Re: Window shopping build, will order once PS2 Beta is released

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Take a look here. There is no benefit to buying high speed ram for gaming.

What you are saying maybe true to some extent, but having DDR3 3000Mhz isn't going to double your FPS verse 1333MHz for example. Games are either GPU or CPU bound. I never heard of a RAM bound game.

@ Pete. $4 isn't bad. When DDR3 came out there used to be a major difference in how much it cost to even go from 1333MHz -> 1600MHz. The gap isn't nearly as much now due to higher speed ram coming out. I still have to correct people wanting to get 2133Mhz or something along those lines that costs nearly twice as much verse a 1333Mhz kit. I just hate people wasting money on computer hardware that won't add much to their experience.
Nice link, thanks. I went ahead and swapped the ram to the 1600 for shits and giggles...I mean, on the whole of things, when you're spending $1100...what's another $5? I looked at 16gb kits of 8gb x2, but I think that's more than I need right now. Maybe as a future upgrade in a year or so. My brother actually just built a rig too, but since he hadn't put anything together yet I convinced him to swap cases down to the Temjin J08 he's gonna be my guinea pig for that case. Should get to his place on Wednesday. As it turns out, he'd ordered a micro-atx board without realizing it (it just happened to have all the shit he wanted and was recommended as a good board from a friend of his) so it wasn't a big deal for me to convince him. He lives in a tiny house with 2 roommates so space is at a premium. He went with a smaller video card though, the 6850. It's like, 8" long and he was worried about it fitting in the case. I'm more worried about the width interfering with the memory/CPU cooler and heating issues than length. We'll see though.