PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - "Endboss vs competitive combat"
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-28, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: "Endboss vs competitive combat"

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
A thought that depresses me in my darker moments is that most people who play computer games don't, when it comes down to it, actually want a game where they have to think to be able to play.

The original PS1's beauty was that it bridged the gap and gave the clever bods lots of "friends" to play with. In my opinion there is a strong inverse relationship between game complexity and potential player base. Drive away the ones who are not interested in coordinated game play at your peril. There are less people who want to "get organised" when they play a game than you might think.
Sadly I agree.

The largest outfits were also the most "straightforward thinking" and "low treshold" outfits.

When suggesting alternative ways to attack when they were stuck, the minds of some of these people would implode. I once suggested Syndicate to attack Hvar (Interlink in the south of Extinction) from the opposite side as they were footzerging it from the tower and any vehicle they brought was brought in along with the rest of the units from the north by bridges. There was a lot of AA and strikers and their mossie attempts had failed. Ground vehicles they thought would be useless. For some reason nobody but my outfit ever used the many ramps on Extinction to attack through the canyons using amphibious Delis and Thundies either (we've often flanked snipers and bridges that way).

The south side of Hvar was undefended. There was next to no CE and all defenders were on the walls of the north side. A double Sunderer (single suicide sund ahead) would have been enough to breach it.

I got a lot of abuse from SynxBeerPirate then for suggesting they simply lacked the imagination to devise a plan to take the base and that - contrary to what they believed - they hadn't tried everything yet. Not by far. Instead, they gave up after a full 17 minutes of footzerg from the tower and went elsewhere because "drawing them off the map to Hossin was the only way to win Hvar).

Of course that plan failed too because it was too obvious. Oshur was lost by the time they reached Ghanon, since they forgot that they made up 40% of the NC pop on Extinction and were needed to keep TR contained in Hvar (which the TR had been content with due to low pop). After they left, TR took to the air, killed Bio Lab gen and left to resec Ghanon.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-05-28 at 07:17 AM.