PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Choosing a faction for new player
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-29, 05:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info
Re: Choosing a faction for new player

Originally Posted by Alderego View Post
Hmm, I recall seeing a graph about speed of fire, accuracy, etc per faction on this forum yesterday or the day before.

It looked like a picture taken from a real life poster/projection. I'll see if I can't dig it up with my browsing history, though chances are one of the vets will instantly remember where it is and post it here
I saw something like that in the PC Gamer article. I think we're not allowed to post scans or anything of that though because they asked nicely.

As for what info will be given? In PS there was just a quick background description in a box. In PS2 there could be info on weapons, playstyles, population, faction biography, etc. However, this may make the choice intimidating.

I think I'm actually in favor of less information being available to the players on selection. People will sort down into what they most enjoy. It's strange but it's been shown that if you put too much into thinking about your answer in what is effectively a game of chance you are more prone to pick the wrong answer. This is why on game shows there's always "Is that your final answer?"

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
In PlanetSide 1 there was a brief tutorial to get you known to the mechanics and empires, I think...

Do you think something like this will be included again?
The offline tutorial became massively out of date in a relatively short time and was eventually removed. There were the help boxes for weapons but they only showed up once and people had a bad habit of clicking through them. The final tutorial was a hard to find tab in the character menu.

The best method is probably a human talking to you through it. I was never that good at it though, I like to be far too specific. I'm thinking the best method might just to use the buddy method and have them stick with a veteran while in the field.

Last edited by Captain1nsaneo; 2012-05-29 at 05:41 AM.