PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder?
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-02, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder?

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I had suggested in another thread that you guys convince SOE to let you hire a full additional team and also make a modern themed MMOFPS with the appropriate changes(large contiguous landmasses instead of islands, Blackhawks instead of Galaxies), which I thought would be a lot less work since half the work is just changing to modern theme appearances, and got shouted down as a fool. I'm sure that will happen now too, but I firmly believe there's room in the marketplace for both Planetside 2 and a modern theme shooter. If there is NOT, then, when someone does come out with a modern theme shooter, then either it or PS2 will die. And if there is, SOE being the first to bring a modern theme MMOFPS to market alongside PS2 could allow absolute domination of the market.
1. Modern MMOFPS is a slippery slope. Why? Because with a futuristic/alt setting you can create sides of conflict with no RL analog, however in a modern day MMOFPS you'll have to choose who's fighting who. Example: USA vs Russia. Who's gonna choose Russia on an American server? Or America vs Terrorism? Or Asia vs NATO? Plus all the stuff you have to go through to give more or less accurate display of the fighting sides. And moreover - what if a war actually breaks out between the said nations while the game is still alive? Black PR, to say the least.
2. There's no point for a company to create competition to itself. That's basically splitting the income.
3. TBH I'd rather see some pre-immortality SP planetside for it only takes script and a little redesign of the PS2 engine.

But that's a subject for another topic.
My thoughts on the actual matter is that Halo will never compete with planetside for it will never make it to PCs. CoD is born to be a match-based game so no danger from here either. BF - EA+MMO is a bad combination. The thing will only work if dice decides to separate from EA and dispose of all the acquired greed.

Blizzard is a different story, but blizzard has very low experience when it comes to 100% openworld designs. Though there is a high possibility that they will release an MMOFPS but it will still be a MOFPS, like GA and such.

I only see few PS competitors - D514 (it can really draw some audience that has both PC and PS3, despite it being a MOFPS) and if EA decides to make a CnC MMOFPS project, but yet again, EA did nothing good online since UO.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-02 at 07:04 AM.