PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - "Healing beams" for the Medic/Engi
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-06, 04:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Kalbuth
First Sergeant

Re: "Healing beams" for the Medic/Engi

Am I the only one worrying about the effect of a repair beam on a MAX? Imagine a charging MAX supported on the move by engies using cover and their beam to reach the MAX and repair constantly.
As stated above, like for medic : is it stacking? what is the rate of repair? Effects could go very wrong, be it for heal beam or repair beam all the same.
I call that the TF2 medic train effect, where the only dominant tactic is a heavy supported by medic, making the whole game revolve around them.

And, having played medic in TF2, it ends up being boring pretty fast to run behind people to heal them while they do the shooting. You feel usefull, but at the expense of your own gameplay experience (you don't have to really aim, just follow some guy around. Ultra boring)
I largely prefer a combat medic setup where you support your comrade by additionnal fire and heal/revive them either during fight downtimes, or even under fire if it's getting hot.

Some medic system I quite liked was the Brink one (someone mentioned it above, or a very similar system), where you use a seringe on a guy, healing him over time. PS2 being slower paced then Brink, the seringe setup and animation could very well be slower in PS2 (like a 3 to 5 seconds setup time), and you need to touch your target to heal him.
For repair, distance repair I feel is too dangerous for gameplay, we should stick to contact repair, even requiring the MAX to stay without moving.

I really dislike all this "beam" thing

EDIT : ouch, it looks like I missed a complete page of this thread OK, all was said in the previous page. Inline with NewSith on this matter. Can be gamebreaking

Last edited by Kalbuth; 2012-06-06 at 05:01 AM.