PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The only thing that will destroy planetside 2.
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-09, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Re: The only thing that will destroy planetside 2.

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Hackers.

Being a FTP Game, And the amount of players that will be playing, Planetside will be a prime target by hacking programmers trying to sell there undetected hacks on a monthly subscription which its going to happen.

You only have to look at what happened to APB which was a a brilliant concept full of fun and packed with players, until hackers completely destroyed it.

I would like to hear what SOE have up there sleeves as if they dont get on top of this before launch the game will hit a wall.

From my understanding PS2 will be using the latest Punk buster. Along with CSM online at all times. My question is to SOE, how is a CSM suppose to spot hackers. And if they do what will happen?

SOE Need put there foot down from the start with Perma Bans.

Im justs curious on how things will work in PS2. As with anyone here, Soon as there's an influx with hackers il be on my bike.

-Pella
Two major reasons they won't tell anyone what they're doing: Its a cat and mouse game, telling people openly anything other than immediate permabans will be handed out for hacking compromises anything they might be planning on. Secondly, you need to understand they require a level of secrecy to protect their methods from being circumvented or sidestepped entirely. All I'm going to say is that the F2P model is flawed in that it allows for potentially infinite account creations.

I am personally aware of how this might be taken care of, but the method I'm thinking of is actually pretty complex and is somewhat easily sidestepped itself in comparison to its use in other areas of gaming. There are two or three very prominent instances where a similar method has been used and revealed to the world, both in gaming and in other industries. Its flawed but generally works, if you don't mind simply carpet bombing mass selections of targets as it were.

You'll just have to wait and see, as will everyone.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-06-09 at 02:46 AM.