PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 Needs Prone
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-10, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #687
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Well, here is the only piece of real discussion I'm going to offer.

I'm never opposed to prone so long as there is an animation of you doing it or a couple seconds where you can't fire your weapon so that you don't just belly flop to avoid being killed in the middle of combat which happens in every single game that allows it. But this is in response to the argument of cover. Let's look at all the footage and all the videos that we've currently seen. The argument is that there is a need to prone to avoid gunfire in a situation where cover is unavailable. So far as I've seen, there has been cover aplenty. Everywhere.

I'm not going to touch the camping issue, not with a ten foot poll (see what I did there?), but tactical advantages are available to prone, however, 1) going prone lowers your mobility so you're pretty much dead meat against anyone who knows you're there 2) going prone indoors will most likely get you killed faster 3) with all the cover already available to you on the map, most people will not be using it anyway because it's simply quicker to crouch around objects, get the kill, and sprint toward the objective 4) prone gives you even worse area of effect since your line of sight is now obstructed by pretty much all the cover that I've previously mentioned because I have seen so many waist high walls that you're either crouched or in the open 5) and finally, Liberators. I'm not even going to bother with an explanation for point 5.

Now, prone is not a bad mechanic if pulled off right, but the mechanic itself will be superfluous as the flow of combat shifts and changes due to situations that I can guarantee most people will forget it even exists. Here's why: Prone against infantry=survival rate doesn't change. Prone against MAX=survival rate goes down. Prone against tank=survival rate nearly 0%. Prone against aircraft=survival rate goes down.

Static gameplay is not bad gameplay, but you can't pull MBT's, MAX suits, or customize your gear without resources that require you to capture bases and prone doesn't = static gameplay. Once again, there are tactical advantages to prone that I'm not mentioning, but it will be a superfluous mechanic in a shifting battlefield.

NOW! for the sake of "discussion" that is and/or will happen, someone offer counterpoints to these in regards to PS2, not BF3 or Arma or whatever nonsense! And keep camping out of it, this is just regarding a mechanic, not a playstyle.