PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 Needs Prone
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-10, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #848
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Originally Posted by mirwalk View Post
I have outlined the reasons I think Prone will harm gameplay. What would need to be changed via implementation to counter act that?
You've been active today, so you'll have to forgive and correct me if I'm addressing the wrong points.

Originally Posted by mirwalk
First is chokepoints. I see 3 or 4 guys in a stairway laying prone. They do this in a manner that allows them to shoot down the stairs while only having maybe 10% of the body exposed to enemy fire. As such 3 guys (4 if you have a medic) can hold off 10-20 people. This is mostly caused by you being prone and getting lots of cover, and lots of accuracy to shoot at the enemies. While the enemy is denied any cover and loses accuracy since they are moving.
Good tactic? You bet. frustrating as hell to the average gamer? You bet.
Small groups in good defensive positions should be able to hold off numerically superior numbers until their consumables are exhausted or the assaulting team makes a coordinated push. Getting hypothetical about the numbers involved is pointless without a model. I don't see this as an issue.

Originally Posted by mirwalk
Second scenario. Snipers. Lots of rock and cover out there to snipe from. That's with crouching. Add prone and that locations jump by 100% or more. Very difficult for people to spot and work out where you are. Especially without kill cams. Add a little cloak for movement between sniping spots. A good sniper will be damn near unkillable.
From the perspective of his target, yes. He will be. From the perspective of his target's friends, the local air cover, and counter-snipers, this is not the case. There will be situations where you are effectively helpless. This is one of them. Then you avoid them. Should a good sniper be able to affect area denial until he's located and bounced? Yes, I believe this to be true.

In summary:

MAX Crashes, Grenades, Coordination.

What else were we on about?