PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 Needs Prone
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-11, 01:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #955
Ratstomper
Major

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Maybe I have more experience with the game and bridge battles. Things used to be more hectic back in 2003/2004 with outside battles. I remember a few on Ishundar where I wasn't in a vehicle. (Just spawning at an AMS outside a base) and you'd be shooting people off the walls from behind rocks. We already saw places in the E3 demo where that would definitely be possible since the outside of the bases are flat in some places and hilly on others.

Who said going against a tank 1 on 1? Most of the shots players were taking with AV in the E3 demo were pop-shots at tanks that weren't paying them any attention. You had that scenario a lot in Planetside 1. Maybe it was because I played VS and we had one of the best AV weapons. I shot down planes all the time and took down lightnings during bridge battles.

But vehicle combat with AV outdoors isn't really the main reason to have prone. (Making yourself smaller to a tank shell at night will only get your so far). Seeing soldiers charging an outpost and going prone next to a tree to shoot at them or in the rocks on indar to pick off people as your squad pushes in seems like a much more sensible option. Especially getting people on the walls. Sure you can crouch, but it seems like not a big deal to give players an option to gain more accuracy if they want to trade off mobility. It puts them at a disadvantage as much as they get an advantage. (Easy target for any sniper).

You also have to take into consideration the resource system. Some players might not be pulling vehicles every turn. (If they could it would make the resource system rather moot). Some players might just be grabbing quads to quickly traverse. If you're outside defending a base you might lay down prone as an engineer after setting up mines to guard an area. Completely legitimate tactic that's no more a "lame trick" than crouching.
I personally feel like an engineer would have better things to do with his time. What I don't want to see are people becoming little piles of pixels in the middle of firefights. I can't say much about the topic without actually playing the game. Crouch will probably serve the function of increasing accuracy at the expense of mobility and won't suddenly shrink a hitbox by 90% as soon as the shooting starts. I still think prone is a totally unnecessary and arbitrary thing to put in the game that doesn't serve any appreciable purpose besides promoting gameplay that planetside doesn't seem to be designed for.