PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Empire night flares
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-20, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Re: Empire night flares

Originally Posted by The Degenatron View Post
I worry about balance issues. For example, I don't think they should be IR flares, but visible light only. The reason why is because the other source of illumimation (the flashlight) has a very specific trade-off: You can see, but you can also BE seen. An IR flare basicly means that now I have to equip IR goggles just in case I run up against an IR equipped squad. If the flares were visible light, well then everyone benefits from that, freind and foe alike.

My only other problem is really just silly and I know it, but to me, it seems kinda lame to have this awesome day-night cycle only to have it "over-ridden" by the players by them spamming flares everywhere. Flares would have to be consumable, and they'd have to cost on-par with grenades.
They would probably take up an equipment or utility slot, of which there are a limited number (I believe 2 or 3), you would only carry maybe 2 or 3 rounds total (maybe even just one) and the burn time would last, I'm guessing, 20-30 seconds (maybe cert to last longer and/or carry more). Top that off with a resource cost and it should make it fairly balanced. Good point though with how it might just turn the awesome night fighting into "spammed up" day fighting.