PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-21, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
True, PS2 will probably be much more of a CPU-bottlenecked game than a GPU one... perhaps even the most CPU-bottlenecked of all given how many players SOE is aiming for.
GPU vs CPU bottleneck is highly user case dependent, since resolution/setting can be changed to move the GPU demand, the CPU demand is generally fixed.

In essence once you have a CPU that meets the games demand having higher CPU performance wont yield much improvement.

for GPU there is almost no limit to how high you can keep pushing demand by increasing the settings and resolution.

Similarly you can remove demand by reducing the resolution / settings and in doing so you could prob push GPU requirement so low that for a lot of user cases the CPU becomes the bottle neck but most people like to play with settings set a high a possible.

so to complete my ramblings;
It is very important to have a good enough CPU but once you cross that threshold GPU is king.

I suspect and decent quad core from ~Q6600+ and almost certainly a Q9400+ would not be a bottleneck

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
Also, not only is AMD pretty low on that list, but I think it's quite disappointing that even its own modern architecture isn't at the top of the list.
Bulldozer looks more favorable (though in general still behind intel) when you look at modern game engines designed to use all the cores. BF3 and DE:HR for example. I would hope PS2 can use more than 4 cores well.

Last edited by Mutant; 2012-06-21 at 11:30 AM.