PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA
Thread: News: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-29, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
RNFB
First Sergeant

Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA

Originally Posted by lawnmower View Post
i didnt say anything abotu that, i explained how having mechanics that makes the game harder increases the skillceiling of a game.
but why do you think that its a terrible mechanic and poor design?
If your bullets are going way outside of your crosshair (CS1.6), it's not intuitive, and confusing to new players. PlanetSide did it properly by having your crosshair determine where your bullets could potentially go, and never outside that.

i just said that a game can have high skill ceiling, ways to always (for a really long time) be able to make meaningful improvements on how good you are, and have bad players be able to do a reasonable amount of good for their team
High skill ceilings and newbs being able to compete are two very contradictory things. If someone is at the bottom of the skill barrel and never gets any higher, they aren't going to be able compete if a bunch of people are at the top of it, and they aren't going to have any fun and quit.

Fortress Forever tried to be "high skill ceiling, newb friendly" but look at how that turned out: the pros completely annihilated the newbs because it took too much effort to reach that ceiling, and now the game is DEAD while TF2, one of the most casual friendly games out there that doesn't require any skill whatsoever to be good, continues to succeed.

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
Take Zelda as an example.
Zelda is a singleplayer game with a static difficulty level. It can't be compared to a constantly changing environment with far more complicated and variable enemies and shooting mechanics more complicated than "stand near enemy and push A".