PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cross faction chat?
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-06, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Re: Cross faction chat?

Originally Posted by MCYRook View Post
Let's make a deal: I'll consider to read long-ass text you link when you start addressing all arguments directed at you, rather than just the ones you feel you have a response handy for.
I dont understand what you are referring to here. Let me quote everything you have said and go through it one by one:

Originally Posted by MCYRook
Well for it being "a very basic social engineering principle", it didn't make all too much sense to me in that other thread, and it still doesn't now.

First off, why is trash talk a bad thing per se? Especially in a game genre that breathes competitiveness?
I explained this. I linked to articles of other people explaining this. I linked to an article of first hand experiences with this.

You say it isn't "conducive to building a positive social environment" (hear hear!) - and in your next sentence stress how the factions are enemies to each other. Why do we need to build a "positive social environment" again, when it's so important that we're enemies? We may want to mock and taunt our enemies - but "that must never be allowed"?
I thought I had answered this too. The goal is to make an environment that is not threatening to new players. To encourage new players to stay. To ensure the game is successful. Poor social design = lost customers.

Besides, I have had tons of very respectful talks with players from the opponent factions - probably more than hate tell exchanges. If it wasn't for that (and the forums), these people would've always been "those dirty VS/TR". So talk about a positive social environment - but wait! That must never be allowed! xD
I am happy for your personal experiences. Do I really need to say more than that? Do I think that your personal experiences are representative of all other gamers? No I do not. Again, congratulations.

Who is Bill Fulton anyway? He must have one hell of a reputation, because the face value of what he says in that money quote above is near zero.
I actually did address this. Follow the links. I quote the articles. The articles and interviews explain who he is.

For the bit about "Oh noes, if we have cross-faction talk, people might say bad things to one another! THIS IS HUGE!", I refer to what Figment just said. The argument is, quite frankly, idiotic on several levels.
Again I congratulate you on your personal opinion. As to what Figment said, I again would congratulate him on his personal opinion. I think everyone is welcome to have an opinion. I just respect it more when it is backed up by more than hearsay. Also note that Figment has not read or replied to anything I have posted other than one select subsection of one post. Thats ok, I dont expect every single sentence I post to be dissected and replied to.

And then he also goes on to say how important it is that you "can't tangibly harm" players on your own faction. Well guess what, there'll be friendly fire in PS2. I guess that must also be bad game design then, because... social engineering!
The interview was using WoW as an example, and explaining how two specific design choices in WoW affected that particular game. Intentional friendly fire is probably going to be an issue in PS2, but removing friendly fire is not the solution to that problem. That is another topic.

Looking back on it I think that the only thing I missed was this: I didnt personally acknowledge and congratulate you on your positive, personal, subjective experiences. Congratulations.

Did I miss anything else?

Addendum: I just wanted to point out something else. Planetside around 2006 probably had around 20k subscriptions (see the link for trends over time). Do you think that your game experience with PS1 may be a little different if PS2 had 1+ million players? (optimistic I know)

Last edited by TAA; 2012-07-06 at 07:54 AM.