PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cross faction chat?
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-06, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Re: Cross faction chat?

Originally Posted by MCYRook View Post
I like the first suggestion, because it not only makes the ignore process easier and faster, but also saves you hassle when someone has a convoluted or purposely hard-to-spell name - we had that in PS1 with cheaters using names like "IIlllIllIlllIl" to make reporting their name all but impossible*.

I'm a little torn on the second - it's useful, but sometimes the person who does the ignoring does it for wrong reasons (often poutyness), so I might get people on my ignore list who don't deserve to be there at all. But I guess it's down to the player to decide if the friend whose ignore list he duplicates is one to ignore people on a whim.

I'm not fond of the third one. I believe most people who send abuse (actual abuse that's worth ignoring the guy) know full well that this is not welcome. I think it might actually incite them to send more abuse just to see what "ignore highscore" they can get.
You know, I think this could go even further.
How its this for another couple of suggestions to add to those other three:
  • When someone is put on your ignore list they are also automatically prevented from joining the squad (and the voice chat channel) of any squad to which you are a leader. They are also prevented from entering any vehicle you are driving.
  • Orders and squad commands given by leaders who are on your ignore list do not ever show up for you in the game.
  • People on your ignore list are visually identifiable to you in game. For example, all their name tags might be orange.
  • You can set thresholds for acceptance of ignore list recommendations from friends. Eg. Someone is added to your ignore list only if 2/3/4/etc people from your selected friends or outfit list have ignored that same person.

Now we start really beginning to see how a social system can be leveraged to drive behavior. People who break social norms with unacceptable behavior would quickly begin to find their gameplay experience being affected. They would stop getting rides in vehicles, stop joining squads, and be visually identifiable so they would likely stop getting heals and repairs too. They can still play the game, but they would slowly shut themselves out from the social aspect of belonging to a team.

Edit: This thread originally started in the Discussion forum, and was subsequently moved to the New Player Questions forum. I have started a new thread with these ignore list suggestions in the Idea forum since it is spinning off from the topic a little bit.

Last edited by TAA; 2012-07-06 at 05:02 PM.