PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Improvement: Ignore list as a tool to encourage a positive social environment
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-08, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Re: Ignore list as a tool to encourage a positive social environment

Originally Posted by TAA View Post
What if I told you that if you didnt want to, nobody would ever share anything of the sort with you? What if I told you that you didnt have to share any of your ignore list with anyone? The point of the idea is that it is completely optional and opt in on an individual person basis.
You're missing the point I think. Also, this is partly my fault for not reading into it fully and just skimming. Ignore should not be a function to completely remove someone from your game. Ignore should be a way to mute players not toggle mechanics like Friendly Fire or remove mission assignments. To keep from hearing them, to keep them out of your squads, to minimize interaction, those are all reasonable.

You (or someone at least) used an example of someone talking about how another player was cheating as a reason to share an ignore list.

That is often a misconception. People accuse others of hacking far too often in a given FPS. Whether or not you think someone is hacking should be something you determine for yourself, not rely on the word of another.

There are numerous reasons why a given person might be mistaken in their accusations, why their accusations might not apply in the next day or two, etc. With your ignore features the way they are, there is no real way for people to be able to redeem themselves either, and if you're automatically sharing that, with no chance of "redemption" or defending yourself from "false accusations" it can get messed up pretty quickly for several reasons.

Aside from that, if there is a severe enough reason to justify an entire group ignoring a player they should probably be kicked by SOE staff, so why not use a reporting system and let the GMs handle it in addition to individual ignores?

The problems with shared ignore lists have been gone into by a lot of others, but it also goes into a (usually) single experience by an individual being used to create ignore lists for a group. Whether I choose to use it or not doesn't matter, because there are people that would use it, and would thus ignore people because of personal disagreements with an individual, because yesterday was a bad day (and now they can't even apologize via an associate of whoever they took it out on) or because the person putting them on ignore is a dick and likes to mess with people.

If you want to improve PS2 in-game society, do it the hard way: via communication not an automated system.