PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Article: Climbate Change Irreversible - What to do now?
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-10, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Re: Article: Climbate Change Irreversible - What to do now?

Originally Posted by Vreki View Post
I will believe them when they start to agree, but as it is now we get a steady stream of conflicting opinions.
There is always something new out there waiting to kill us all, which must be fought at enormous cost to society.
Holes in the ozone layer, radon in our houses, mad cow disease etc.
And yet a couple decades later that threat will just be a footnote in history.

"Science" has cried wolf one time to many.
A couple have already jumped on you based on the things you said in the part I've bolded above. Allow me to jump right on top of that pile.

It is the nature of science that there is almost never 100% agreement. It's actually vital that this be the case, otherwise scientific knowledge would never improve. There always has to be someone willing to poke at something and ask, "Yes, but really?"

If you listen to lectures or read essays by scientists, you will oftentimes find that the most exciting discoveries are when previously-held standards are shown to be false, because we're always replacing the old-and-wrong with the new-and-closer-to-right. But if you're waiting for science to be in 100% eternal agreement on everything, man, I suggest you just give up on science and go be a priest. Because that's just not the way it works.

Scientists investigate the evidence and draw the best conclusions that evidence provides us. We cannot but act in accordance with that evidence until new, better evidence is discovered or provided. To sit on your hands and do nothing until you get handed a Golden Ticket is to sit forever doing nothing. To say nothing of the fact that when it comes to climate change, there's a wide swath of agreement, and the disagreements tend to focus on the specifics.

And for Odin's sake, people... stop watching cable news. It makes you stupid.