PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Driver/Gunners... NO!
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-10, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Kayos
Corporal

Re: Driver/Gunners... NO!

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I still think that a full on sidegrade cert is the way to go, not just a button that releases the main gun to the gunner.

If it's just a release, then you still have the problem of 2 people being required to do the job of 1 person.

The only way to fix it is if the dedicated driver sidegrade also gives a noticeable boost to the vehicles armor.

The way I would handle it would be to call it a Heavy Battle Tank sidegrade. Nerf the speed slightly, buff up the armor (slightly in back, heavily on the front), and give the gunner control of the main gun. Possibly an even beefier main gun than the regular main gun.

At that point, you could even add a third seat for a second gunner to control an optional additional AA or other secondary turret.

The main design goal would be that a skilled dedicated driver and gunner pair would have 50/50 odds against a skilled driver of a normal MBT who had a second crew member controlling a secondary AV weapon, and 50/50 odds against two separate solo MBT's (depending on how well the solo MBT's manage to flank).

But I can absolutely envision an environment where dedicated gunners are not only viable, but desirable in a lot of situations while still coexisting with solo MBT's who would still be perfectly viable options for players who preferred that style.
Thats a good idea, I could live with that.