PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Article: Climbate Change Irreversible - What to do now?
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-11, 05:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
MrTinkles
Private

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
1) Humans know a lot about living outside of Earth. 2) You dont need money to barter shit. Colored paper has only the value another human says it does. Outside of that, it's just colored paper. 3) It's hard to see how we can replace something that has ZERO value in the Universe? Oh the lulz.
1. What do humans know? Which humans? Kids at a Star Trek convention???

All we DO know is that we can't do it...beyond possibly a small (non-sustainable) colony of the moon or Mars...or even less likely some of the moon of, the further planets.

I repeat. The amount of resources needed to support any group of us on any of the few possible places in the solar system we could land on, let alone stay, are so huge that it is not viable. Look at the cost (or in your utopia, amount of bartering) that it has taken to keep a few ppl on the ISS or to stay on the moon for few days...

Sadly IF we ever were to make a new home on another world on in an artificial structure to escape this worlds problems (rather than just for science)...it would only be the super rich that got a place there.

By the time we have the technology (if ever) to move a substantial part of the worlds population...the truth, or otherwise of global warming and the consequences of it will be long gone...followed by, I would guess several other "global emergencies"... Be too late for anyone here or even their great great......etc...grandchildren.

2. No...but it makes it easier. That's why we use it.
Let's take a fantasy trip to your colony on planet X. I have just transported some oxygen from Earth (or manufactured it...i know the theories) which you need. Let's barter... You have a large amount of, say, aluminium which is a useful metal but unfortunately for you I already bartered some oxygen for that earlier. Do you have anything else I need...nope sorry. Oh well I'll be back next week. As you choke to death, you think - if only we had some system of tokens we could exchange with each other....whatever could we call it? Hmmmm......

Or is there more to my Star Trek reference than I at first thought? Do you really believe the Captain Picard line about..."money doesn't exist and we just work to better ourselves" (that's not the exact quote but I know Roddenbury had this philosophy that humans would advance like that). Do you think we'll all just SHARE??? God, look around you...all evidence to the contrary!!!

3. I mean, come on...what does that even mean? "zero value in the universe"...it has value if we give it value. As for (drum roll) the "others" out there...they might be merchant bankers...I don't know and neither do you.

"oh the lulz" - Aahhhh...the well argued point...so rare to see it...