PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - How the heck did SOE achieve such faction loyalty?
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-17, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Caldaren
Private

Re: How the heck did SOE achieve such faction loyalty?

Loverator, with all due respect, you're wrong.
Raka Maru nails it on the head.

For the first 2-3 years I ran topside, running AMS' and playing support. You recognize that you're topping off the same people, repairing the same tanks and having the same grunts spawn at your AMS. You've got the same people running air cover topside, and you trust them to do their job, so that you can do yours.

Being an AMS driver was like being an over-the-road trucker pulling a trailer that had "SHOOT ME" written on the sides. You were a threat, target numero uno, the driving force that moved those static lines. They had to be protected, else every other grunt had a longer run across more open terrain, able to be picked off by Magmowers or rocket-spam gunships.

I chose TR because I liked Red/Black more than Blue/Yellow or Purple. I stuck with TR because that's where the relationships were that I made.

And later, when we turned the caves Red....I stayed TR because the outfit I ran with was TR.

After a while, you know that rationally there is balance in the game. But after the 500th time you've been killed by a jackhammer, or a lasher, you don't care. It's us vs. them, the faceless them with weapons that require no skill as opposed to your weapons which are harder to use. And against the faceless them are your brothers in arms, fighting the good fight...because it's Planetside, that's what you do, that's why you play the game.

Don't bring real world into this, it has no place here. In the end, it is Red/Black vs. Blue/Yellow vs. Purple, and whatever side you choose the others are the OTHERS, and therefor, not to be trusted.