PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Please remove Vehicle seat swapping.
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-17, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

Re: Please remove Vehicle seat swapping.

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Nope, I'm not being aggressive. Sorry you feel this way.
Alright, fair enough. I'm sorry for misinterpreting you.

It just seems that people who grew up on the recent crop of session based shooters ( Session based shooters are built on the premiss of the disposable experience, because they end ) are the ones who seem to be OK with this.

I'm clearly not going to change peoples minds, and that is who they seem to be designing for. Its another system to protect users from themselves, personally I feel it cheapens the title, but OK.

Clearly people feel, that despite their choices, or despite "loss" ( Gunner, teammates, Support ), they should have the full arsenal a vehicle allows at any given time, regardless of this being a team based game.
I don't think the game is being designed with this sort of mentality in mind, though I appreciate that you feel that way.
Planetside 2 is fundamentally quite different than Planetside was. It owes more to modern military shooters than it does to the war game simulation that was part of what the original Planetside was. The devs have kept many elements of the previous game, enough to make the experience very similiar, but at heart it is a modern FPS, with all the good and bad that comes with that.

I think this is part of the problem we are seeing expressed in this community through various threads and heated debates.
The old guard, those who played, enjoyed and loved the original Planetside, want this new game to mirror the old one in as many ways as possible. Those who never played it, or who didn't enjoy it quite as much when they first played it, want to see many of these old features changed or even outright removed, to make the gameplay feel more modern, for lack of a better word.

I think the devs have a desire to create a really good, really popular game. But I don't think they share the strong devotion to everything about the original game that those who are long time fans of it (or games like it for that matter) have developed over the years.

In many ways, I regret never playing Planetside 1. It seems like a very deep, very good wargame, even with all its quirks and flaws (or so I am led to believe).
But Planetside 2 will not be a wargame, it will be a modern first person shooter with strong wargame elements.

Make of that what you will.