PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - PS2 Download.
Thread: PS2 Download.
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-21, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Re: PS2 Download.

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
Actually, I hadn't considered that... It may indeed just be the one continent. I don't know, I don't have access yet. Although, it stands to reason the download would include everything they have at present. I don't think the whole beta is going to be on just the one continent, is it? Or are they not interested in testing the continents themselves?

Yeah, I think models and the associated textures are usually the biggest part of any game part, followed by sounds. In the case of the continent, it would be a very large model, or many smaller ones :P

edit @ download link

Well... damn... That's awful simple. (just /download, that is)
Far as I know, only Indar is finished. They're working on Amerish, with Esamir to follow. 3 continents are planned for release. I imagine we'll see them all during open beta.

And for the record, while I don't know how SOE is setting up their terrain files, WoW's vanilla continent textures (the entire "landscape" was a single massive texture on top of a height map) were each an entire 4 terabyte texture crunched down to a much more reasonable size.

Again, I don't know how SOE tackles texturing their continents. It would actually be pretty cool if a dev came in and informed us about how big a continent file really is, including JUST the height map and texture overlay, not the buildings and other natural objects on them.