PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genre
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-22, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Re: Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genr

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Plus K: D ratio is such a ubiquitous tracking stat that it is now as common as ammo. It's a standard feature at this point. I do like the idea of tracking other stats as well and letting the community give more weight to those other stats.
I like where this thought is going.

Provide more then just the K/D like healing, repair, revivals, vehicle kills (tracked by individual vehicles), vehicle losses.

PS1 included a break down on pretty much everything you did and put it into a merit system that allowed you to wear your merits with pride even if it was damn near impossible to tell who had what merits on their shoulders at first glance. Their mistake was that they started tying in-game rewards like certain vehicle variants and -cough- vehicles -cough- to earning merits. That was what the certification system was for, and should never have been stepped over.

Going for those merits was actually fun, even if the majority of them involved killing an enemy. The streaks were challenging most of the time and pride was reward enough.