PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Crawling on the ground... missing?
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-31, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Re: Crawling on the ground... missing?

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
Why is dolphin diving a bad thing? Do I misunderstand what it is? Besides a way to advance under heavy fire?
It's a bad thing because it's annoying. Well... I think it's annoying. It's expected for one to do it to win in games that allow it, but I'd rather games not allow it, 'cause I'm selfish like that. They're mostly arena based, CQC games though. Notably, CoD.

There are ways to discourage it however, such as forcing someone to enter crouch first or at least coming to a full stop, then they can prone. Also putting some deployment time into it that prevents firing during the process may discourage simply slamming into the ground the moment they're under fire, making it more of a preparatory action, not a default reaction.

Again, this is something they might test during beta, because it's a pretty big design decision that could and probably will change the way people play the game. Some people like myself just don't care for prone. I'd be happy with a really low immobilizing crouch beyond crouch that doesn't let me do anything except reload and switch out my weapons. My main concern is the classic "cover is not high enough for crouch" scenario and that's about it.

Thing is, because of PS2's scale, prone could be totally awesome to have in game, so I'll need to prep my mind for that possibility.

As an aside, if I were calling the shots I'd like to see SOE take a look at Brink and introduce something akin to S.M.A.R.T. to Planetside 2, though that might be a huge undertaking, even if they did start on it earlier in PS2's development. I admit I don't really know how that system works precisely.