PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Vehicle - Aircraft: the Hammerhead
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-02, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Gonzo
Private

Re: Vehicle - Aircraft: the Hammerhead

I do believe that PS2 needs a light transport aircraft for 5 passengers or so, but I don't think this should be it. I think a crew of four could be okay, one pilot, one gunner with a light weapon, and two passengers. This allows it to carry a small group, while keeping its main focus on the cargo. This kind of aircraft shouldn't be zipping around at the front lines too much. Get in, drop aid, and get out before you catch too much fire.

I do think it is important to keep it focused on the logistics/engineering role, with options that definitely set it apart from the other support vehicles and deployables. There has been a fair amount of demand for player constructed bases or outposts, and I think the Hammerhead could be a good way of implementing that. This is something that will set the niche for the aircraft that meshes well with existing vehicles.

Aside from the supply caches and repair stations, specialized drops might include:
-Shield generator (Dome, falls under heavy fire, vulnerable to EMPs)
-Stealth field generator (Dome, imperfect illusion, more noticible or ineffective to Thermal sights)
-Compact fortifications (Barricades and small bunkers, providing good spots for Engineers to set-up turrets in cover)

All of these could be destroyed, the durability would obviously vary. Turrets and fortifications would be best taken on with AV weapons, while other items would be more fragile.

More advanced or powerful modules would require activation by a friendly player once they landed before they fully construct(Yay Nanites), and players could maybe even choose to deconstruct/remove a module instead of activating it. This could justify the passenger capability-carry a couple buddies to jump out and flip the switch on your drops.