Thread: Knife Kills
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-05, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Re: Knife Kills

Originally Posted by therandomone View Post
Not this. Why does people want to nerf the knife? I hated the way Counterstrike did it because its like i was paper cutting you to death with it. The idea of making the knife that weak is asinine.
Agreed, knifing someone should be a reward to spending the effort to sneaking behind enemy lines and getting behind someone undetected. This activity is arguably the most work intensive in the game, compared to zerging, sniping, piloting and other roles. A knife isn't a panic weapon, it is a tool for infiltrators to kill quietly. There is a reason this role is called "cloak and dagger".

Knifing in PS1 was everything but quiet. First of all the knife itself made noise if you wanted any hope of getting a kill. Even with Melee booster, if you somehow got the first swing in you have to pray that lag is with you or they don't move, because if they do you miss the second strike and they blast you away. If you got lucky and got the kill, hey, you just announced to everyone watching the killspam that a knifer is nearby.

I really hope PS2 changes this to support the cloak and dagger playstyle. A knife should be able to backstab, or 1S1K anything below a MAX, and if it does the kill does not show up on the killspam. A backstab should only be able to be performed when you are behind a player, and should be tied to an animation. This way you have to at least target people in the back of a crowd or else the guy you are knifing will get spotted and give you away.

If you are not behind the enemy then the knife would behave normally, taking 2-3 hits to kill.

Why is it that a sniper rifle can kill someone in 1 shot from a mile away with the click of a mouse and people don't bat an eye, but if a knife can do it after all the effort it takes to get in place people scream "COD KIDDIES!!!11"?

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-08-05 at 06:12 PM.